Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, the direct supervision of Operations Associate, Field Support G7, the Operations Assistant – Team Leader (Field Support) is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
2. In coordination with the Operations Associate, Field Support G7 , lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
3. Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals
are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
4. Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
5. Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
6. Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
7. Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and thirdparty facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification,
readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
8. Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Associate, Field Support G7 and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
10. Alert Operations Associate, Field Support G7 or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Completed secondary [high school] education required and five years of relevant working experience.
• Three years of working experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
• Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
• Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet.
Fluency in English is required (oral and written). Desirable: Spanish and French.
The candidate should send his/her application through the following email [email protected] using as
Subject “SVN-2023-036 Operations Assistant – Team Leader (Field Support) G5”.
The application must include:
• Curriculum must be in English.
• Letter of interest must be in English.
• In case of receiving applications from foreigners living in Costa Rica, they must
submit their work permit.
Any applications that are not presented in English as required will not be taken into consideration.